The Home Buyers’ guide to Surveys

Share this post

home for sale

Anyone who has or is considering buying a home knows what a big commitment it is. Most ordinary people won’t spend thousands of pounds on any other single purchase.

What does a mortgage solicitor in London check?

Before moving in, it’s vital for a home buyer to know what they are getting into. This means looking deeper into the property, not just taking it on face value. There are a range of professionals who can help here, including a mortgage solicitor in London, such as Saracens Solicitors. They will check the title deed doesn’t have any restrictions or outstanding claims on it, and that the seller is entitled to transfer the deed to the buyer.

Why get a survey?

It’s easy to get carried away with the romance of house buying, especially for first-time buyers. And while having a feeling of ‘home’ in a property is important, using the head to also make sure it’s sound is only prudent when such huge sums are at stake.

This is why home buyers get surveys done before going ahead with signing the contract. In England and Wales, the onus is on the buyer to make sure that the property is in good condition. And while hopefully the seller isn’t trying to pull a fast one, it’s only sensible to check that there haven’t been any significant changes since the last survey was done.

What does a surveyor do?

Once a home buyer has had their offer accepted, they will employ the services of a surveyor. They will create a report on the structural soundness of the building and look into the surrounding environment to see if there is anything there that could have an impact. For example, an old coal mine in the area may eventually cause subsidence.

Getting a detailed survey done is particularly important for older buildings and those in areas with significant environmental factors. It does cost more but gives peace of mind to the home buyer before signing on the dotted line. A mortgage solicitor in London, or the mortgage lender, will often be able to recommend a surveyor, or the buyer can find one on the RICS website.

Share this post
Scroll to Top